Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is a gas we are all familiar with in the way of how dangerous it is if present in the home. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is widely known for being the cause of illnesses and fatalities in the home. When dealing with gas appliances it is best to call an expert gas engineer to sort out any problems with gas escapes or installations.

To keep up with standard safety measures your gas appliances need to be serviced on a regular basis to ensure they are working efficiently, annual servicing can save lives – by ignoring this action then you can become exposed to dangerous carbon monoxide which can prove to be fatal.

Carbon monoxide has no smell and is clear coloured as well as a tasteless gas that is formed when carbon-based fuels, such as gasoline, kerosene, propane, natural gas, wood, charcoal or oil, are burned with insufficient amounts of oxygen, thus creating a state known as incomplete combustion. In household cases and there gas appliances, this can be caused by poor maintenance, improper installation, or other appliance neglect, misuse or failure.

When incomplete combustion happens in a faulty gas appliance, then carbon monoxide is created therefore this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. The early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning is unexplained flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, vomiting, nausea, shortness of breath and mental puzzlement Since carbon monoxide displaces the oxygen in the blood, then prolonged over exposure to carbon monoxide can result in death by asphyxiation.

Signs to look out for to see if carbon monoxide is present – are a yellow and rather large unbalanced burner flame (this does not apply to ornamental gas log appliances). Other signs can be a strong pungent odour when the appliance is in operation. This can be a sign indicating the creation of aldehydes, a by-product of incomplete combustion. And if you notice any change in your well being like unexplained nausea, drowsiness and flu-like symptoms then it is best to get medical attention right away – call a doctor.

If you are not sure and confused if carbon monoxide is present then it is better to be safe than sorry. First you must act fast and turn off and stop using the suspected gas appliance that may be at fault. Then call in the gas company for a safety check. Do not use the suspected faulty gas appliance till it has been given the all clear and determined safe.